Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Half n' Half?

We have been talking about "white privilege" in class, and I wanted to ask a question. My boyfriend his dad is white, and his mom is Filipino. When people ask me what race he is I always reply Filipino. So although white is the agent in society why do people who have a white parent and a minority race parent do they consider themselves the minority?

I've been with my bf for 6 years, and when growing up my father had a big issue with this. He always said wasn't "WHITE", well he was, but only half. I was always given lectures on inter-racial relationships and how they don't work. How, he wanted to beat the shit out of him; just because he was with his daughter. Also, he looked down on me for dating him. But nonetheless I never cared. I saw him for him, didn't matter the race. I know society conforms these views of you should be with your own race, but I totally disagree.

2 comments:

  1. That's really tough. I know I've been thinking about that and having conversations with people too. Like with Tiger Woods the whole debate that he isn't black because he's also part Asian. Or Barack Obama not being considered fully black. I wonder why too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this is an interesting topic, and one I intend to bring up. To be perceived/known as "not full white" usually means the label of "other" is applied.

    ReplyDelete