Friday, January 9, 2009

Today at the food bank was interesting. The job I was assigned was to walk people through and tell them according to family size how much of what items they could have. I think it was kind of not "fair" that a single person, and a family with 2 get the same amount of food.

I also noticed in myself that I really felt cautious in touching these people. I would assume its because of the environment I was in. The people I was helping were "low-income". I myself put every person into different categories. It is society that by nature I myself want to do this. I feel bad for doing this, but society has taught me this. I just shows me how much effect society does have on me.

There were many people there, mostly seemed more Hispanic or older white people. Just by working with some of the people that were also volunteering, they seemed to had been there for a while; I noticed that the older white lady handing out certain food gave more to the older white people (who was like herself) then she did to the Hispanic. But if I was to give more I would get kind of yelled at. It seems, seniority there plays a role. I felt as if i was looked down upon, but why? I am there just to help, the same as everyone else volunteering.

No comments:

Post a Comment