Friday, January 23, 2009

Community service vs. Volunteering

Today I did another shift at the fish food bank. This time I noticed more than before that some of the older people volunteering were taking food aside for themselves to take home. I didn't really know if this was right or not because this is a food bank need to give to the less fortunate. Also, I notice that when krystal went into the walk-in cooler to get a water to drink she got yelled at. Said she couldn't be in there unless someone else let her. It made me have the idea that he thought she was someone doing "community service" rather than "volunteering". Did he think she was going to steal something? I'm really not sure. Later, we both were taking boxes of bread and putting them in the freezer, this was not a problem. I can see the stereotypes even at the food bank, although everyone is there to help, the people doing "community service" were seen differently.

2 comments:

  1. Damn... that's crazy about what happened to krystal! That sucks! The first time I volunteered at that food bank, I was working with Martha, and I noticed that a lot them were taking stuff home for themselves as well and it definitely confused me a little bit. Martha was making sure that weren't taking a lot or good stuff, but it still confused me because I would figure that they would want to give as much as they could to the people who really needed it... but who knows? Ridiculous how you guys got judged because they thought you were trying to steal, and yet they have no trouble taking stuff for themselves... interesting huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting thing!! I would think that they would trust the people that they allow to work/ volunteer there. But obviously they can't because people take advantage of the food bank. This is totally wrong!! Then it leads me to think that is this the whole reason that these people work at the food bank- to steal food and pillage the given food?? Do they allow these people to continue to work at the food bank if they are caught?? I feel this is a total misuse of the food bank and the people that actually need it aren't getting what they actually need.

    ReplyDelete